Monday, March 9, 2009

2-11-09 Wednesday, Crazylegs Skate Club

Tonite was the "Crazy Legs Skate Club" RollerSkate/Dance Party. This is a Rollerskating Club that rents a Salvation Army gym in Brooklyn, brings in a sound system and skates there. It's way way cooler then it sounds. Lights are off, except for a few colored lights and the gym is huge so it works out perfectly. Its run by a guy named Lezly, he's the "skate guru" and believe me he really is. He holds skating lessons before the session and usually 20 ppl show up for that, and then at 8pm, around 200 ppl show up to skate.
This is one of my favorite gigs to play. I get to play todays RnB, old RnB, classic deep vocal house, and skate music from the late 70's and early 80's. Now, understand that this isnt like just a group of people going around in a circle. Picture about 150 ppl in the center of the floor dancing like with shoes, but on skates, and the rest are going around dancing and just loving the vibe, it really is a very cool thing.
Only one thing happened that was weird tonite. A lady who is usually a very nice person kept requesting Madonna's "Beat Goes On" and I said I would play it no problem....later. So I guess later came and she asked again, I told her I would play it in 15 minutes...that wasn't good enough for her. Now remember, this is a woman who always comes up to me when I play there and says hello, throws me compliments and stuff like that. NOW she wants this song and is debating me (I hate talking when I play) that this party isn't about me, which I agree 100% but I reminded her that it wasn't all about her either. I simply asked her if she could wait 15 mins and I was gonna change the whole vibe..."Nope, I'm leaving" was the answer. OK, this is how it works with the skaters. They have their favorite dj's (usually DJ Big Bob and DJ Julio (Julio is my favorite, and the guy who brought me into this crowd) and the rest are like lepers, I was a leper. BUT then I played a a sunday afternoon in central park for the Central Park Dance Skaters and I became "one of the guys."
So now I have my following there, and apparently this woman comes to hear me when I play so what did I do??? as soon as she skated away I played the Madonna track for her, which worked very well there, and she thanked me and all was right with the world, but first she complained to Lezly that I wouldn't take a request and he later told me that she is one of the biggest pains-in-the-ass that he ever knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment