Monday, March 9, 2009

2-6-09 Saturday, People Lounge

Every other Saturday I play at People Lounge, in the East Village on Allen Street just below Houston. The owners there are very very cool, and really treat me great. I've been working there on-and-off for about 5 years. I really like this club and I get to play hard and do a good job. The club is always "Sardine Can" packed, and this nite was no different. There's some semi-private seating kinda behind where the dj booth/console is that I use for my friends when they come down. This nite, 2 girls asked if they were allowed to sit there (they were asking to sit away from me but in that kinda private area) I had noone coming down, so I gave it to them. They wound up having around 12 people with them, and the overflow....some stupid guy....was right behind me, basically sitting in my booth - who cares. Here's the fun part...a girl with that crew was talking and leaning forward every time she would speak, and lean back every time she was done, but when she leaned back she would slam into the wall/wood/thing that keeps the people away from me. She didn't know it, but everytime she did this she would slam into my console shaking the turntables (I use a program Serato which allows turntables to control my laptop which has my music on it). I let it go about 10 times, then I leaned over and told her what she was doing by leaning back so hard. She immediately took offence, said ok and laughed it off which made the rest of her gang laugh too. I kinda have a short fuse when I'm djing - I mean I'll talk to people which I do all night, but If you're skipping my music I have to put a stop to it, and if you're laughing at me, that's gonna stop too.
So I very loudly asked why the hell they were all laughing at me if I'm asking this girl to stop skipping my music, which I explained she didn't even know she was doing and it wasn't her fault meaning that I knew she wasn't even aware of it.(I hate to explain myself in those situations, just stop skipping my music and let me do my job) She was really annoying and I wasn't in the mood for a debate. They stopped laughing, she said "you're the dj, I have mad respect for you" I just said thanks, walked away and finished the night. That was around 11pm, the night just started!
The rest of the night was uneventful, other then a sardine can dancefloor and a great crowd that lets me experiment and play a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment